The Slovenian Museum of Natural History was established in 1821 as the Provincial Museum. The Museum houses zoological, botanical and geological collections.
Permanent installations include various collections: Geological and Paleontological Collection; Zois Mineral Collection; Hohenwart Collection of Molusc Chells; Herbarium Collections; Ferdinand J. Schmidt Insect Collection; Proteus Presentation; Mountain, Marsh and Forest Dioramas; Bird, Reptile and Fish Collections; Skeletons of Different Vertebrates.
The Museum also houses the Juliana Alpine Botanical Gardens in Trenta – the first and the only Slovenian alpine botanical garden set in natural environment. The garden grows more then 600 different plants, most of them belonging to the Alpine and Carst species.